Sunday, December 29, 2013

Potato, Chorizo & Green Chile Burritos

My love for Mexican foods strikes again. I just can't get over the flavors and aromas that come from it; it makes me happy. Burritos are always a hit with my kids, NO MATTER WHAT IS IN THEM, because I roll them tighter and smaller like a taquito and they love them. This was my first time cooking with or eating chorizo and I loved it. The recipe calls for fresh chorizo, but I could only find cooked chorizo at my local store. So I placed the links in the food processor before I started and voila, I had crumbled, cooked chorizo. Keep that in mind…you can cook with either one, but the recipe below reflects how I cooked it. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
10 oz red potato, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 cup chopped tomato
2 TBS diced white onion
1 TBS fresh cilantro, chopped
lime juice from 1/4 lime
6 oz chorizo, chopped or crumbled
1 cup chopped onion
1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
2 tsp olive oil
salt to taste
4 tortillas (I used a tomato basil tortilla)
queso fresco, crumbled

Directions:
1. Place the red potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Remove pan from heat, and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry.

2. Combine 1 cup tomato, 2 TBS onion, cilantro and lime juice in a small bowl. Toss and refrigerate while you continue.


3. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chorizo, 1 cup onion and poblano pepper to pan and cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir frequently.

4. Add potatoes to the pan and cook for an additional 8 minutes or until potatoes are browned, add salt.


5. Warm the tortillas, and divide chorizo/potato mixture among them. Top with the salsa you made earlier and the crumbled cheese. Roll each burrito in a jelly-roll fashion.

6. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and place burritos seam side down in the pan. Brown on each side and serve.


We enjoyed this with a side of black beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment